To qualify for a CCW in Ohio, you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be a legal resident of the United States and Ohio resident in the county of application or adjacent county, or resident of another state and employed in the county of application or adjacent county (employment proof required; i.e. current paystub, letter from employer)
- Not be a fugitive from justice and not be prohibited by federal law from possessing a firearm
- Complete an eight (8) hour certified weapons proficiency training (must present certification with application within 3 years of course completion) UNLESS waived because of active military service, previous military service (honorable discharge), or proof of Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA) Certification
For more information please review the Ohio Concealed Carry Laws Manual.
To obtain a CCW permit, first time applicants must:
- Complete the required eight (8) hours of weapons proficiency training. The training must include a minimum of two (2) hours of in-person training that consists of range time and live-fire training. This training is NOT OFFERED BY THE GEAUGA COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE. Check with local sporting goods stores, gun clubs, or gun stores for available training courses. Insure the instructor(s) offering the weapons proficiency training have a certificate of training from the National Rifle Association or the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy and are certified to teach firearms training.
- Upon successful completion of the weapons proficiency training and receipt of a firearms training certificate from the training entity, the applicant must complete a CCW Application Form and review the Ohio Concealed Carry Law Pamphlet as prepared by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office. These documents should be made available to you where you obtained your weapons proficiency training or online at http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-enforcement/Concealed-Carry. The application form is available in the lobby of the Geauga County Sheriff’s Office. The Geauga County Sheriff’s Office no longer carries the Concealed Carry Law Pamphlet.
- You must appear in person and have the following items with you when applying for a Carrying Concealed Weapons Permit:
- A completed CCW Application Form
- A copy of your firearms training certificate
- A current photo identification (i.e. driver’s license, state ID)
- One of the following methods of payment for the NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE must be presented at the time of application: money order, personal check, or EXACT AMOUNT CASH . If you have lived in the State of Ohio for five (5) or more years, the application fee is $67.00 . If you have lived in Ohio less than five (5) years, there is an additional $10.00 fee for the FBI background check. Payment must be made payable to the “Geauga County Sheriff’s Office”. The Geauga County Sheriff’s Office does NOT accept credit/debit cards!
- Each applicant’s completed application will be reviewed for completeness and accuracy. During your processing, fingerprints will be obtained electronically through the WebCheck System. Fingerprints will be sent to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation & Identification (BCI&I) and/or the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) for a background check.
- If your application is approved, your CCW license will be mailed to you within forty five (45) days, or you will receive a phone call to pick up your license. If your application has been denied, a certified letter will be sent to explain the reason(s) for the denial. The appeal process will also be explained in the certified letter. PLEASE DO NOT CALL to check on the status of your application unless you fail to hear from us or do not receive your CCW license in the mail within 45 days.